Have Tooth Pain? A Root Canal Might Be Right for You
Have a toothache? If so, a root canal might be right for you. Over 25 million root canal treatments are performed each year. Root canal treatment is necessary when the pulp of the tooth becomes infected or inflamed. The infection or inflammation can have a variety of causes including deep tooth decay or a chip or crack in the tooth. Valerin Dental, which is located in Peoria, IL, offers a full range of dental services. Dr. Manny Valerin is one of the finest dentists in Peoria, IL. Here are 5 signs that you may need a root canal.
1. You have a toothache. A toothache could be a sign that you need a root canal. Tooth pain is caused by the infection in the tooth. The pain can be mild or it may be severe. A root canal will provide fast relief from your aching tooth and improve your well-being. If you need root canal treatment, don't put it off. Ignoring the problem will only make matters worse. Root canal treatment is nothing to fear. Modern technology and anesthetics allow dental professionals to complete root canals treatments virtually pain-free.
2. You have a bump on your gum. Have you discovered a pimple-like bump on your gum? Don't worry – this is normal. For most people, a bump on the gums isn't cause for concern. A bump that forms on the gum may indicate you need root canal treatment. This bump may go away and then come back. It's a good idea to visit your dental provider when you discover a bump on your gum.
3. Your gums are swollen. Swelling around one tooth is a sign that you may need a root canal. The swelling can be slight or pronounced. The swelling may be accompanied by pain. In extreme cases, the swelling may extend into your face or neck. Without root canal treatment, the swelling will never go away. Other causes of gum inflammation include periodontal disease, prescription drugs, nutritional deficiencies, and poorly fitting dental appliances.
4. Cold and hot bother you. Do your teeth twinge when you consume cold or hot beverages or foods? Tooth sensitivity is a common problem. Some individuals are naturally sensitive to cold and hot beverages and foods. Prolonged sensitivity to hot and cold beverages and foods may be a sign that you need root canal treatment. Nerve damage causes tooth sensitivity to cold and hot beverages and foods.
5. You have a darkened tooth. Smoking, bad oral hygiene, prescription drugs, and pigments from dark-colored beverages can cause stains on your teeth. However, a single dark tooth may be a sign that you need root canal treatment. One darkened tooth could also be the result of bleeding within the tooth due to trauma. Only a dental professional can determine whether you need a root canal.
Start smiling again! If you think you may need a root canal, call Valerin Dental at (309) 693-2310 right now to schedule a dental appointment with your dentist in Peoria, IL. You will experience exemplary service and world-class care at Valerin Dental. We will help you get rid of that toothache once and for all.